Thursday 15 March 2012

Attempting to make yoghurt

I like the idea of trying different things and do something with as basic ingredients as possible. Now I read something about making yoghurt. I guess I will have a go. I bought some nice organic milk and some greek yoghurt. However, it will take about 8 to 12 hours to see whether I was successful. 
I need about 900 ml milk and two tablespoons of yoghurt. All needs to be at room temperature. The milk is heated up just to the boiling point and is poured into a non-metal container. Then it all needs to cool down a bit and a skin will form on top (this reminds me of my failed attempt to prepare clotted cream). 
Then the two tablespoons of yoghurt are mixed with two tablespoons of milk and it is added to the lukewarm mixture, taking care that the formed skin on top is not disturbed.
After that the bowl needs to be covered and left for 8 to 12 hours in a warm, dry place until it thickens.
I will see about that!

3 comments:

  1. Well, it didn't work. The supposed yoghurt is still as liquid as milk and doesn't taste any different. So something went wrong. Maybe the yoghurt was not alive, or the temperature was not right, or ... I don't know. I have to try again at another time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made yoghurt in a thermos flask, helps keep the milk at the right temperature. Strangely enough it's easier to make with long-life milk though you need live yoghurt

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/may/03/foodanddrink.recipes2 thats about what I do (without the dried milk)

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.