Tuesday 22 May 2012

Still Food Revolution Day - Vietnamese Cooking

By now Food Revolution Day is over, but not the Food Revolution. Hopefully this all made some people think about their eating habits.
At least I learned a lot and you know there is forever and always the chance to learn something new. That is if you are willing to. So again I had attended an event in connection with Food Revolution Day to broaden my view - this time it was about Vietnamese food.
Thinking about Vietnamese food,I have no clue, although there are living a lot of people around me, That are from Vietnam. They even have restaurants, but most of them do Chinese food (maybe not even real Chinese food, but only what people want).
Let us now go on with the event.


The table is set and it can begin. On the table some garnishing is waiting for the things to come. Did I say garnishing? Well, of course, it's for flavour as well.


To start with, a lovely soup, so full of fresh flavours - oh, how ignorant of me - of course it was phở, traditional Vietnamese soup. The red parts you see are far from being just garnishing. The chillies were actually quite hot.
After this soup we could proceed with the main part.


The next part included some work or rather participation. We were about to learn how to make Vietnamese summer rolls with rice paper. The ingredients were set out on the table.


You can do them with different things, but these were the ones we had. Just make sure you put some lovely herbs in it.


The rice paper is briefly dipped into water. Then it is ready for the filling.


Putting all the delicious ingredients on it, only making sure, it is not overcrowded. When you have a big mouth, though, you can make bigger rolls.


Then serve it with a soy based dipping sauce and enjoy it. Well, the roll doesn't look to good on the picture, but well, it was my first try.


A few rolls later, only a small dessert could still fit in. As you can see it is with strawberries and ... what do you think is the green bit? It contains avocado. Very nice, not too sweet and very delicious.
If you want to make Vietnamese summer rolls for yourself, have a look at Uyen Leluu's blog: Leluu. There you will find the recipe. She is also doing Vietnamese cooking classes and supper clubs.
Well, it's time for me to go home soon and for sure I will try some more Vietnamese cooking.

4 comments:

  1. I think your rice paper roll looks pretty good! I love Vietnamese food, and am very lucky that we have heaps of great cheap Vietnamese restaurants here in Melbourne. I haven't been adventurous enough yet to try making my own pho or rice paper rolls yet though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So, why don't have a go at rice paper rolls. It's not so hard.

      Delete
  2. thank you so much for this. I t was great to meet you. Hope you will enjoy many rolls and will make the soup soon
    Love Uyen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I managed already to get rice paper for the rolls. Next week I have again the chance to check the special shop for other needed ingredients. Then things can go ...

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.