Sunday 9 September 2012

A Good Start of the Day with Shakshouka

While browsing through blogger world, I found a post about a visit in Melbourne In it a certain dish was mentioned and shown: Shakshouka. I had never heard of it before, but it sounded and looked so lovely that it made me want to try it.
While I would have even loved to eat it at the same place and travelling to Melbourne, I had to pass this time. As for now this is out of reach. Impossible as well would be finding a place that has it on the menu.
Therefore once more, it is time for action on my part, trying to do it myself.
Although you get some information from the description and the photo, some more research is necessary.
The belief is that Shakshouka originates from Tunisia. Further research revealed what usually goes in it and how it can be prepared. 
Now a tiny bit adjustment to my possibilities and circumstances and we are ready for action.


Ingredients as I used them:
1 splash of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, cut into small pieces
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
250 g tomatoes, sliced into small bits
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander seeds, freshly ground
salt and pepper according to taste
3 eggs
100 g feta cheese (I used one that was seasoned with garlic and chilli)
a few leaves of basil (more authentic would be flat-leaved parsley)

How I went about:
Heat up the oil in your pan and gently fry your onions until soft, but not browned.


Then add the yellow pepper and red chilli and cook for about 8 minutes. I already like the looks of it with the bright yellow colour.


After that put in the tomatoes, the garlic and the tomato paste. Season with cumin and coriander ... and salt and pepper as you like.
Let things work together for a couple of minutes more.
Now you can move the vegetables around a bit, so you get three free spaces or holes. There you put an egg each. Scatter the feta cheese all over the pan.
Cover the pan and leave for five minutes until the eggs have started to set. If you do everything right, the egg yolks will still be runny.
Once this is done, sprinkle the basil (or parsley) leaves over it.


When everything is finished, get yourself some crispy bread and dig in!
If you haven't tried it yet, I can only recommend Shakshouka. Just think about it: can a day start any better than having this for breakfast?

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I love Shakshouka although I've never had it with cheese before. I used to eat it when i lived in Egypt and it's a dish I return to again and again. Looks so good Chris and it's made me feel rather hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good, isn't it? Thank you! I will for sure make it again as well.

      Delete
  2. That does look good, I haven't heard of it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is so much out there still to be eaten ...

      Delete
  3. This looks really delicious! I think that I'm going to have to make this soon and thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia! You are very welcome. You will not regret trying Shakshouka!

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.